Securing Archives at Risk, October 2015.
Documenting for Present and Future Generations, February 2013.
Access to Truth Archives, UN side event, 13th September 2013.
Securing Archives at Risk
In the framework of the mandate “Archives & Dealing with the Past”, financed by the Swiss FDFA, swisspeace hosted a conference on 'securing archives at risk' at the Hotel National in Bern. The event addressed the topic of the protection, security and access to archives at risk.
1. Welcome Speech by Pablo de Greiff, United Nations Special Rapporteur on the promotion of truth, justice, reparation and guarantees of non-recurrence
2. Introductory Note by Andreas Kellerhals, Director of the Swiss Federal Archives, and Elisabeth Baumgartner, Head of the Dealing with the Past Program at swisspeace.
3. Keynote Speech by Mohammad Al Abdallah, Executive Director, Syria Justice and Accountability Centre.
4. Session 1 with Trudy Huskamp Peterson (Archivist and Chair, International Council of Archives’ Human Rights Working Group), Anne-Marie La Rosa (Lawyer and Senior Diplomacy Advisor, International Committee of the Red Cross), Marie Liouliou (Project Coordinator, Memory of the World Programme, UNESCO), and Elke Selter (Consultant, Emergency Preparedness and Response, UNESCO)
5. Session 2 with Mohammad Al Abdallah (Executive Director, Syria Justice and Accountability Centre), Ahmed Atef (Co-founder of “Wikithawra” project), Wendy Betts (Director of eyeWitness, International BAR Association), Saad Eskander (Former Director, Iraq National Library and Archives), Andreas Nef (Archivist, Docuteam).
6. Session 3 with Monika Borgmann (Board Member, UMAM Documentation and Research, Lebanon), Cathy Collins (Endangered Archives Programme, The British Library), Shari Eppel (Executive Director, Peace Solidarity Trust), Gabriella Ivacs (Chief Archivist, Open Society Archives), Andreas Kellerhals (Vice-President, International Council of Archives and Director, Swiss Federal Archives), and Serge Rumin (Deputy Head, Task Force Dealing with the Past and Prevention of Atrocities, FDFA).
Documenting for Present and Future Generations
In February 2013 the Director of Documenta - Center for Dealing with the Past in Zagreb Croatia, Vesna Teršelič, visited swisspeace. We asked her what importance archives play in the work of Documenta, how the institution disseminates information to the public and how they cooperate with other organizations in the region.
Access to Truth Archives
UN Side Event at the 24th Session of the Human Rights Council on Friday the 13th September 2013 at Palais de Nations in Geneva.
Truth Commission Archives
Remarks by Pablo de Greif, UN Special Rapporteur on the promotion of truth, justice reparation and guarantees of non-recurrence
The CONADEP archives and dealing with the Past in Argentina
Remarks by Ambassador Alberto D’ Alotto, Permanent Representative of Argentina to the UN and other International Organisations in Geneva
Findings of the swisspeace Research Project on Truth Commission Archives
Presentation by Dr. Briony Jones, Research Fellow, swisspeace
Archives of UN transitional justice mechanisms
Remarks by Lucie Viersma, Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights